Your financial situation can affect your security clearance, your mission readiness and your family life.  DoD PFMs and financial counselors understand what you’re going through, and the unique financial challenges you face as a service member. 


  • PFMs or other financial counselors are usually part of the Airman & Family Readiness Center, Army Community Service, Fleet and Family Support Center, Marine Corps Community Services, or their equivalents.
  • Consult a PFM counselor for a private and confidential talk.  PFMs can help you with:
  • To find a PFM, visit Military Installations and select "Personal Financial Management Services” or  call Military OneSource (1-800-342-9647) and the Military and Family Life Counselors program.
  • You and your family can access free legal services through your legal assistance office. Specific services  vary by installation.
    • If you’re an active duty servicemember, reservist, or member of the National Guard on active duty, you have  important rights under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). The SCRA allows you:
      • to get reduced interest rates on your mortgage, credit card, car and some student loans
      • postpone foreclosure, eviction, repossession, default judgments and other matters in civil court, and income tax payment
      • terminate your phone contract and auto or residential lease
      • protect against termination of life insurance.
  • The protections start the day you begin active duty and end 30 to 90 days after the date you’re discharged.  Contact  your legal assistance program with questions.


Tools for Personal Financial Managers